Propolis

bees, honey and other sticky subjects

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Funding blind beekeepers

I'm still puzzling over this one.

In the Eastern Cape of South Africa social businesses are benefitting from tax-free investments.

The Gadra bee-keeping project is already fully invested and will provide training and equipment to a group of six blind people, who can become income-generating beekeepers.
Now, I've always considered reasonable eyesight as an essential to good beekeeping, especially when judging the health of a colony and when looking for eggs (I am very aware of this because I'm annoyed I now have to wear reading glasses to make positive egg identications now!)

I know that Francois Huber, notable for his understanding of 'bee space', was blind, but he did use a sighted assistant (who I imagine was no stooge). So, can anyone enlighten me about what's going on in South Africa's Eastern Cape?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home