Propolis

bees, honey and other sticky subjects

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The only WBC worth having


 Posted by Picasa
Normally I dismiss the traditional English hive, the WBC, with a snort. But this one I love! I have it for one year in recognition of one of my honeys being voted the best by local beekeepers. As you can see, the trophy has been around a bit and is in need of gentle bashing by a silversmith.

Perhaps I should explain my antipathy to WBCs. Mmmm, where to start? Let's just start by saying that they are double-skinned, so involve lots of lifting to take the hive apart; have miserable frame sizes; have lots of places for waxmoth to hide ... But they do look nice don't they? The best use I ever saw of one was as a compost bin.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rufus said...

Extremely handsome, my congratulations.

3:27 pm  
Blogger FLbeekeeper said...

Come on, don't be so mean to the WBC. Back before tarpaper and decent packing the double layered walls were all that kept a colony from freezing to death. In its time, like the skep, it was a nessesity for the bees. OH...and speaking of alternative uses...I met a beekeeper who was using a WBC hive as a bird feeder.

2:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home