Propolis

bees, honey and other sticky subjects

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Me and my mead

After exactly eight weeks, I've racked (decanted) my now fermented mead. I mad two gallons -- one just honey, water, citric acid, nutrient and yeast; the other with the substitution of some concentrated grape juice for honey (this pyment will mature more quickly and enable me to slake my thirst sooner).

Interestingly, the honey-only mead is sweet and the pyment is bone dry. They both started out with similar sugar levels (Specific Gravity 1110 and 1104), so I'm not quite sure why they should be so different (now SG 1016 and 996). Perhaps the better-balanced pyment enables the yeast to ferment further.

Anyway, they both taste very promising. Only one year to wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home