Propolis

bees, honey and other sticky subjects

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Introducing ... sublingual therapy

Sublingual therapy might sound a little riske to ignoramuses like me, but apparently it's not an uncommon way to treat allergies. And now they are experimenting with it for allergies to bee stings.

Italian researchers found that putting honeybee venom under the tongue was safe and significantly reduced reactions in people allergic to bee stings. So far they have only tested it on people who have "local allergic reactions" -- which seems seems an unusual use of the term to me. can anyone enlighten me?

But in any language, a tongue drop seems much better than a stab in the butt.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Marjorie said...

I think this means people who react badly to stings (lots of swelling around the site of the sting) but not those who have the most severe typw of allergic reaction, or are likely to go into anaphalactic shock.

I guess they are wary about carrying out potentially fatal experiments!

7:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are basically three types of reactions to stings, I think. Normal reactions to stings are pain, swelling, and usually redness around the area that is stung(ie the area right around the sting site on your leg). Local allergic reactions involve a much larger area, such as swelling that extends to the entire limb. A serious allergic reaction usually tends to involve difficulty breathing, swelling of face or throat when the sting site was elsewhere, and sharp drops in blood pressure.

7:11 am  
Blogger wholesaleherbs said...

http://www.nutrovita.com/store/propolis.htm
Great Information and post! It is very informative and suggestible for the user of solar energy, May I think it can be beneficial in coming days...

12:25 pm  
Anonymous Mil said...

I would like to find out more about this more direct therapy. Last summer, I had a bad reaction to a head sting that had me breaking out in hives.

I decided to buy an epi-pen just in case, but when we went to buy it, it was $180! Plus, the pharmacist told us we would have to replace the pen every year.

I like your blog. Too bad there haven't been any updates since 2008.

9:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home