Propolis

bees, honey and other sticky subjects

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The bland leading the bland

There doesn't appear to be much happening in the bee world at present, so it's time for a rant.

Why oh why are some beekeepers so conservative when it comes to tasting new honey? Now, you'd think that a group of beekeepers would be falling over themselves to taste honey from the other side of the globe. I took some to a bee meeting last week and there was only moderate interest. And the response of some of those who tasted it? “Oooh, I don't really like it, it's got a very strong taste. I prefer my own.” And it's not the first time I've met that reaction. Anything different is met with suspicion.

It wouldn't really matter except I think that it's that sort of reaction that stops honey becoming the new wine. I wonder if Germans on first tasting robust red wines dismissed them with such haste.

Beekeepers would do themselves a lot of favours if they were at the fore in developing new terminology to describe honey flavours. Then maybe others would become more interested. < /rant >

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree 100%, we Yanks loved your honey and do consider honey tasting an art, akin to tasting wine.

1:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home