bees, honey and other sticky subjects

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Shocking stings

Anaphylactic shock (anaphylaxis) is a odd phenomenon and strikes individuals -- even beekeepers -- at unexpected times. Here's a story from New Zealand. I'd love to hear of more experiences -- please email me.

Bryan Page, 50, wasn't concerned Friday when a swarm of bees hit his windshield in Masterton. He said he's been stung many times over the years with no reaction, but this time it was different, the Wellington Dominion Post reported.

One bee flew into the cab and stung him on the neck. He said he pulled over, and pulled the stinger out and continued on, but began feeling “a little different.”

He decided to head for his doctor's clinic, about four miles away. He has no memory of crashing the truck right outside the clinic.

Doctors had to give him two shots of adrenalin to keep his heart going, the newspaper said.

Doctors said they're not sure if he now has a lifelong allergy or if it was a one-time reaction, but Page said it was a wake-up call.

“It has made me appreciate life a little more,” Page said. “I haven't even got a will, so that's the first priority.”


Post a Comment

<< Home