Propolis

bees, honey and other sticky subjects

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The definition of a British summer: Three hot days and a thunderstorm

As I look out my window this summer evening that would pass for a cold autumn day, I fear that the honey harvest will disappoint for the second successive year.

For once, I've managed my colonies reasonably well and they are probably in the best condition I've yet managed to take advantage of the main nectar flow that happens in this part of the world between the end of June and mid-July.

The flow period was preceded by some really hot (nearly 30C - that's hot for here!) weather, but, as soon as the nectar flow was about to start, thunder clouds rolled in. Yesterday, huge hailstones lay around like snow.

Still, “mustn't grumble” (as the stoic English say), tomorrow is another day and better weather is forecast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home