Propolis

bees, honey and other sticky subjects

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Trouble bruin

Bears are causing problems in Maryland, USA -- especially to beekeepers. But animal rights activists are opposing efforts to control bruin populations.
“Three years ago, I had eight hives of bees,” said 82 year-old KO nelson. “Then after the first bear attack, I salvaged three hives. Last year [there was] another attack, and I was wiped out. I bought two hives this past spring and thought I would try again. On the nights of June 1, 2, 3 and 4, the bear was back. He or she would upset only one of the two hives each night. I straightened up the mess each of the following mornings, and I was able to save the two hives, although they are now in a weakened state.

“[On a Sunday] the bear came in the evening while we were out. We came home before dark, around 6:30, and he had already been here. Today, Sunday the 5th [of June], I set up one of my 10-by-10-foot dog pens with an electric fence around it. If this doesn't work, don't expect any honey this fall.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home