bees, honey and other sticky subjects

Saturday, April 17, 2004

Bug cuisine

As Washington DC moves into spring, David George Gordon, a biologist and author of the “Eat-a-Bug Cookbook”, has been discussing bug cuisine online in the Washington Post. He is a particular advocate of cicadas — “the other, other white meat” — but in discussion he warns of overdosing on honeybee larvae:
Overdose [on cicadas]? Not that I know of. However, you CAN overdose on honeybee larvae One study confirmed that these critters may contain 15 times the recommended daily allowance of vitamins A and D! Taken over an extended period, 2 1/2 tablespoons of honeybee larvae can induce symptoms of vitamin D toxicity — which can include hardening of the soft tissues of the heart.
You have been warned!


Post a Comment

<< Home